Plant Based Hemp Green Burger
- 1/2 cup canned kidney beans
- 1 ½ cups hemp hearts
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, scrubbed well and grated – changed from ½ cup
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Leaves from 6 stems of parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon flour, or more as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 or 4 tablespoons bean liquid
- Place the kidney beans in a large bowl and mash them well.
- Mix in the hemp hearts, onion, carrot, cumin, and parsley to form a mixture that looks almost pureed. Do not use a food processor.
- Stir in the flour, which should stiffen the mix, adding more by the teaspoon as needed.
- Taste, and season with salt, pepper and/or crushed red pepper flakes.
- Form a total of 4 to 6 patties, making them 1/4” to 1/2” thick
- Use just enough oil to coat the bottom of a skillet; heat it over medium heat. Once the oil simmers, add as many patties as will fit in a single, uncrowded layer; cook until the patty is heated through and has developed a nice crust on each side, turning them over as needed.
Serve warm in a hamburger bun or over a bed of lettuce.